Sunday, April 25, 2010

Squash and String Beans in Coconut Milk

 I bought this cookbook back home, "Pagkaing Pinoy" (Filipino Food) - The Most Famous Recipes of the Philippines by Christie Lee. From this cookbook, I tried her dish, Squash Cook in Coconut Milk "Ginataang Kalabasa", one of the famous dish in the Philippines. I live alone, so I can't exactly follow the ingredients in the cookbook, otherwise nobody will eat it! Here's what I did:

1/2 small squash (about 300g), cut into bite size
8 string beans stalks, cut into 1-2 inch
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion
1 cup shrimp meat (or cubed pork)
1 cup coconut milk (in can)
salt and pepper to taste
chilly or chilly powder
oil for sauteing



In a pan, heat 2 tablespoon oil, saute garlic until light brown.
Add onion and shrimp (or pork). Mix well

Pour in thin coconut milk. (1/2 cup of coconut milk + 1/2 cup of water.
Add squash and string beans. Season with salt and pepper + chilly powder.
Simmer until vegetables are done but not overcooked.

Pour in thick coconut milk (1/2 cup), then remove from heat.

1 comment:

dining table said...

Filipino food always tastes too nice to me. My mother loves cooking those kinds of dishes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Copyright 2010-2011 @ Food: Cooking and Capturing | Designs and Layout by: Design by Vhiel