Sunday, June 20, 2010

Weekend Food Tour: Some Filipino Food

When I'm taking Graduate School in National Taiwan Normal University (International Human Resources and Development). In our Cross-Cultural Communication Course, we need to present food from our country of origin. I presented Lechon (Roasted Pig in Charcoal) and Adobo (Pork or Chicken Stewed in Soy Sauce and Vinegar). Two of my classmates from Belize presented of course Rice and Beans + Potato Salad, and the same version of Adobo. From there, we all knew it has something to do with Spain. The rest are history!

Anyways, here one way of cooking Adobo from Christie Lee's Famous Filipino Food Cookbook, Pagkaing Pinoy. Adobo may also be cooked using pork or combination of chicken and port.

1 kilo chicken, cut into serving pieces ( I used wings)
5 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and quartered (I omitted)
2 cups of water
1 head of garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
peppercorns (I used ordinary ground pepper)
3 tablespoon soysauce (I used 5 tablespoon dark soysauce)
1 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
1 chicken cube (sorry I don't use cube)
salt to taste (optional)

In a saucepan, combine chicken, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns, and soysauce. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then cover. Reduce heat. Cook until chicken is tendr. When meat is almost done, add potatoes.  Pour in vinegar. Simmer for a few mintues, stirring occassionally. Don't overcooked the potatoes.

My husband do it different way, he used to marinate the chicken or pork overnight with all the seasonings, added some oil so when it'll be cooked like teriyaki style.

*****
A year ago my husband and I attended my sis-in-law's wedding (June 20), and also had the chance to eat some of our favorite food in span of short vacation. I compiled it into a video clip, enjoy watching!


4 comments:

Kim, USA said...

Oh my this is yummy. Pork or chicken adobo is always a sure hit to my fellow american family too. And with my Filipino friends we have different ways of cooking adobo too, which makes it really fun. Happy Sunday!

Ice Candy

Lady Patchy said...

sarap naman ng mga food na yan ,truly a filipino food

gengen said...

Wow sarap oh my delicious one. Happy Yummy Sunday.

Bogie said...

Yummy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Copyright 2010-2011 @ Food: Cooking and Capturing | Designs and Layout by: Design by Vhiel