Monday, June 14, 2010

Light Spinach Frittata with Tomato Salsa





Another breakfast frittata adapted from South Beach Diet, I like this better than Vegetable Quiche. I guess because of the milk added and it has fresh tomato salsa. I used frozen spinach and the left-over egg whites when I made Hollandaise Sauce. I don't have mozzarella cheese, instead I used ordinary low-fat singles, and no cilantro for me!

For Frittata
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups frozen spinach, thawed and drained
2 eggs
2 egg whites
1/3 cup low-fat milk
4 low-fat cheese singles, chopped

For Salsa
1 big tomato
1 scallion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cilantro (optional)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven at 200.
In a pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring until fragrance and tender. Add the spinach, reduce the heat to low.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs and egg whites with the milk until light yellow and frothy. Pour the eggs mixture over the spinach in the pan. Cook for 5 minutes or more, until the egg mixture is cooked on the bottom and almost set on top. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake in the oven until the eggs are set and the cheese has melted, 5 - 10 minutes.

(I baked it for about 30 minutes, I like the cheese burnt.)

To make the salsa:
In a large bowl, stir together the tomatoes, scallions, garlic, cilantro (if using), lime juice, salt, and pepper. Serve fresh, at room temperature, over the frittata.

Note: You can also serve the frittata with salsa bought from supermarket.

MellowYellowBadge

Have a great week ahead!

MyMeatlessMondays

15 comments:

☺lani☺ said...

Sorry, if I made breakfast at night again! Have a great week!

Kim, USA said...

I too not into quiche, fritata is somewhat close to our thick scrambled egg. Love fresh tomatoes too. Happy Sunday!


Sandwich

Dimple said...

This is probably delicious. But I just had my supper, and I'm not hungry!

Marice said...

awww i wanna try that real soon!

u may view mine here

Animor said...

That looks yummy, i dont mind eating quiche..

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This is so me, as far as food goes. I am going to print it up and hopefully make it, this week.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Thanks for linking this up to My Meatless Mondays.

I have such fun starting Mondays looking for great recipes and yours certainly is a great one.

life's journey said...

So yummy my dear. Happy MYM!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Yummy!

Quality Time with kids for MYM.

Life Moto said...

i feel so much hungry. look tasty cheer!

Life Moto

Maharlikah said...

I so love the tomatoes :-)

Ma.links said...

Om nom nom. I´m getting hungry.

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

I love the fact that you used no cilantro. I will have to give this a try.

Joanne Olivieri said...

This looks delicious. I love fritata though I don't have my Mother's recipe. I will try yours.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Looks very healthy and delicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Copyright 2010-2011 @ Food: Cooking and Capturing | Designs and Layout by: Design by Vhiel